PhD Candidate – Centre for Comparative Literature – University of Toronto / Visual Artist and Independent Filmmaker, Toronto – Canada
-PhD Candidate of Comparative Literature, Centre for Comparative Literature, University of Toronto (2020-current)
-PhD Student of Comparative Literature, Centre for Comparative Literature, University of Toronto (2017-2020)
-World Literature, Summer Program, Harvard University, Boston-US 2019
-Master of Art in Humanities / Comparative Perspectives, Comparing Persian Sufi and English
Romantic poetry on the matter of the Sublime, York University, Toronto-Canada 2016
-A full year studies in English Romanticism, York University, Toronto-Canada 2013-14
-Bachelor of Art in English Literature, Iran 2004
Research Interest and Experiences:
– Classical Persian Poetry
– Romanticism and Romantic Poetry
– Sufi thought/Persian Sufism
– Modern Persian lyrical poetry
– Modern European thought and philosophy on theology and aesthetics
– The intersection of philosophy and the sublime aesthetics
-The intersection of the sublime aesthetics and Orientalism
-Poetry and/in visual/textual/auditory materials
-The intersection of poetry, Translation Studies, mediums of expression, aesthetics, and Orientalism
– The intersection of the sublime aesthetics and art (especially visual arts and music)
-The interrelation between aesthetics and poetics
– “The Aesthetic of Desire and the Feminine Path of Individuation: The Case of Forough Farokhzad”, The Anthropology of the Middle East, poetized Love: Affects, Gender and Society Issue: forthcoming.
-“Timeless Joy: Rumi’s Poetry and the Praxis of the Transcendental” in Timepieces, University of Toronto: Forthcoming.
-Beyond White: The Artistic Biography of Gholamhossein Nami, Tehran: Forthcoming.
Conference Invitations and Presentations:
-Forthcoming: “Bark’s Rumi: A Hermeneutic Approach”, ACLA (American Comparative Literature Association), April 2021.
-Forthcoming: “Earthly or Ethereal? The Beloved of Persian Classical Poetry”, University of British Colombia, May 2021.
– “Dance of the World, Dance of the Words: Untranslatability and Rumi’s Poetic Dance of Return”, Harvard University, July 2019.
-“Timeless Joy: Rumi’s Poetry and the Praxis of the Transcendental”, Centre for Comparative Literature’s 29th Annual Conference: Timepieces, March 2019.
-Grant writer, bibliographer, and website aesthetician at Poetess Iranica: an exceptional and current Encyclopedic project on the women poets of the Persianate world, University of Toronto, 2020-present.
– Teaching Assistant at the University of Toronto, 2017-present.
– Research Assistant at York University, 2015-16.
– Graduate Assistant at York University, 2015-2016.
– Persian, multi-skills, native proficiency.
– English, multi-skills, native proficiency.
– French, multi-skills, intermediate proficiency.
– Tabar? (a language of Northern Iran), native proficiency.
– Classic Arabic, intermediate reading knowledge.
Grants, Awards, and Scholarships:
-University of Toronto internal funding for graduate students, 2017-2022.
-University of Toronto, Linda Hutcheon Award, 2017.
-York University internal funding for graduate students, 2015-16.
Teaching English as a Second Language: Educational History and Experience
Education, Certifications, and Memberships
-TESL Ontario Association (Teaching English as a Second Language) / Internationally certified
English instructors association 2012-present
-Master of Art in Teaching English, Tehran PNU, Tehran – Iran 2011
-TTC (Teachers Training Courses) – Iran, Soroush Language School 2010
– English Instructor (both as private tutor and class instructor in Iran and Canada), 2003-present.
– ESL Instructor – Volunteer Position – at University Settlement, 2011-2012.
-Gholamhossein Nami and Fariborz Zarshenas (Painting) – Yadollah Kaboli and Mohammadreza Khosravi (Calligraphy)
-The Beautiful, the Sublime, and the Rest / York University 2015
-Retreating Aesthetics / University of Toronto 2017
Film and Cinema:
– Director of the feature film, Un Entranger A Paris (A Stranger in Paris) 2020
– Director of the short film, Death 2021
-Solo Abstract Calligraphic Painting Exhibition, Art Square Gallery, Toronto/ON/Canada 2017.
-Solo Abstract Calligraphic Painting Exhibition, The House of Art and Culture, Toronto/ON/Canada 2013.
-Abstract Calligraphic Painting Exhibition, Seyhoun Gallery, Los Angeles/CA/US 2013.
-Solo Abstract Calligraphic Painting Exhibition, Zar Gallery, Amol/Iran 2010.
-Solo Calligraphy Exhibition, University of Culture and Art, Esfahan/Iran 2002.
-Group Exhibitions since 1999.
Memberships and Certifications:
-Iranian Canadian Visual Artists Association (ICVAA), 2016-present.
-Iranian Calligraphers Association, 1999-present.
-Certification of Excellence in Calligraphy from the Iranian Calligraphers Association, 1999.
-Independent filmmaker, January 2020-present.
– Independent Visual Artist, 1999-present.
-Calligraphy instructor, The House of Culture, Amol – Iran, 1999-2001
-Illustrator and calligrapher of the Intro of Dirafsh- K?v?y?n?, a video musical album composed by Farid Elhami and performed by the renowned Iranian vocalist, Shahram Nazeri 2016
-Stage designer for the Salar Aghili and Hamnavazan Band concert in Toronto 2013.
Interviews and Broadcast:
– Persian Mirror Media, Persian Mirror Online Broadcast, Interview with Mahdieh Vali-Zadeh, 2017. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7INtN24CDQ
– Taak Pictures, Independent, Exhibition Report and Interview with Mahdieh Vali-Zadeh, 2017. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDJTKytBEFg
– VOA Persian, Shabahang, Interview with Mahdieh Vali-Zadeh, 2013. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolcFJeKjiw&t=34s
– Andisheh TV (ATV Broadcasts) International, Ziafat, Exhibition Report and Interview with Mahdieh Vali-Zadeh, 2013. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_UCMJX1Ggc
– “In Mahdieh Vali-Zadeh’s Seclusion”, Shahrvand – Canada (Weekly Magazine), 2017. Available at: https://shahrvand.com/archives/90179
– “The Interplay of Poetry and Paint”, Shahrvand – Canada (Weekly Magazine), 2013. Available at: https://shahrvand.com/archives/42760
– Bahar Daee’s Interview with Mahdieh Vali-Zadeh, in Negarestan (Monthly Magazine), 2014.